Introduction to Royal Roads University
Royal Roads University gratefully acknowledges that we learn, work, and live on the traditional lands of the Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) and Lekwungen (Songhees) ancestors and families who have lived here for thousands of years.
Royal Roads University (RRU), located in Victoria, BC, offers applied and professional degree programming that is interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary in nature and its research has an applied focus. With a reputation for innovation, RRU is a leader in online delivery and blended learning models.
RRU is committed to the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.
About the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
The Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) is currently seeking generalist business instructors with a commitment to innovation and sustainable business to join our Associate Faculty instructional team. We are open to both in-person and virtual instructors, depending on the project type and COVID public health guidelines.
- All student learning occurs in the context of project work undertaken for real community clients who are seeking solutions for social, environmental, and financial problems.
- The program is designed to support not only our students’ learning, but also our local stakeholders (clients) and the public-at-large (through our focus on social and environmentally sustainable business).
- Students are provided digital learning materials to support their learning of the theories, concepts, and procedures of various business disciplines. Students study these modules independently and arrive at classes prepared with the foundational knowledge they’ll need to apply to their client-based project work.
- Students attend classes 3 – 4 days per week (typically from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM PT). During class time, independent learning is supplemented with: (a) Instructor lessons, exercises, and coaching, designed to support students in understanding how to appropriately deploy foundational learning within the 'live' project context, (b) Team collaboration, group work, problem solving and research on projects, supported by the guidance and coaching of instructors, and (c) Client meetings and presentations.
We are looking for the following qualities in the interested candidates:
- Experience teaching in a project-based and team-based learning environment.
- Adaptable within a range of business functional areas (e.g., marketing, finance).
- Interested in teaching in a dynamic and energizing business program that provides rewards in both teaching and learning, and in social and environmental impact.
Expected commitments from Associate Faculty Instructors:
- Instructors are assigned to projects that align with their interests and their main area of specialization.
- Projects have a duration of 4-6 weeks, depending on the complexity.
- Instructors teach in teams of two that coordinate instructional schedules and divide the work according to each instructor’s strengths.
- Generally, the workload is comprised of 8 contact hours per instructor per week. Occasionally, instructors will spend more than 8 hours per week to attend client meetings or student presentations
- Ongoing “behind-the-scenes” coordination among the instructional team is required.
- Contract value is determined according to the project duration. In general, contract values are based on RRU Associate Faculty rates, pro-rated according to project length. The Program Manager or Program Head can provide specific information on rates for a given project.
Other valuable experience:
- Experience teaching with an active, engaging, learner-centered approach
- Teaching in a multicultural class
- Using learning and teaching technologies in the classroom
- A teaching philosophy that is compatible with RRU’s Learning and Teaching Model
- Completion of Facilitating Learning Online (FLO) and Instructional Skills Workshop or equivalent is an asset. See Centre for Teaching & Educational Technologies teaching workshops.
- Experience using learning and teaching technologies (RRU uses the Moodle learning management system, Zoom, and other technologies) and/or willingness to take the requisite technical professional development workshop opportunities provided by the Centre for Teaching & Educational Technologies, as recommended by the program.
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion related competencies:
- Awareness around providing individualized accommodation for learners
- Working with non-dominant gender identities and expression
- Familiar with Indigenization and decolonization approaches, anti-racist perspectives, and unconscious bias
- Familiar with use of inclusive language
- Experience working in a Microsoft environment is an asset.
Application Submission Information
In your application, please include:
- A one-page cover letter
- Your curriculum vitae
- A statement of your teaching philosophy that describes your alignment with RRU’s Learning, Teaching & Research Model (LTRM) and the BBA’s project-based learning
- A completed Areas of Expertise survey – please follow link.
Please submit your application, as a PDF file(s), by email to SoB.Opps@RoyalRoads.ca
Please write “BBA – Associate Faculty Opportunities” in the subject line of your email.
- While Royal Roads University values all applications we receive, only those candidates chosen for further consideration will be contacted.
- If requested, shortlisted candidates will be required to provide the names and contact information for three referees, and to arrange for the forwarding of degree transcripts directly from the granting institutions.